YaYa's Bran Muffin Recipe
My Mama (YaYa to her grandbabies) has made these Bran Muffins since we were little, they're a hit with adults and kids alike. The mix stores in the refrigerator for 4 weeks, making them an ideal recipe for our unexpected quarantine. Just put it all together, let it sit in the fridge overnight, and you're ready to pop a batch in the oven each morning.
Or afternoon, when the kids want a snack.
Or before bed, when the kids want a snack.
We're currently calling all cooking and baking in this house, Home Economics. The girls love helping, and it reminds me of all the times my Mom let us bake with her. If your kids are bored, and need something fun to do, I made these Free Play School Printables. Have them pencil in Home Ec if you plan on whipping some of these up!
YaYa's Bran Muffin Recipe
1 cup of canola oil
1 cup boiling water
3 cups white sugar
2 cups bran buds cereal
4 cups all bran cereal
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
5 tsp baking soda
1 qt buttermilk
- Boil one cup of water. Remove from heat.
- Mix one cup of canola oil into the boiling water. Set aside to cool.
- In the largest bowl you own, mix 3 cups of sugar, 2 cups of bran buds, 4 cups of all bran, 5 cups of flour and 1 tsp of salt together.
- In a medium sized bowl, pour your quart of buttermilk, and add your 5 tsps of baking soda. Stir to combine, then let it sit for a few minutes as it rises.
- Pour your oil and water mixture into the large bowl with the cereal/flour etc.
- Next, add your baking soda and buttermilk mixture to the large bowl.
- Then, add 6 eggs individually. It’s always a good idea to crack your eggs into a little bowl before adding them to err on the side of caution.
- Mix it all together until combined, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Set a stick of butter out to soften overnight.
- The next morning, give it a good stir, and set your oven to 375º (350º for convection).
- Spray your muffin tin or muffin liners with Pam.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes depending on how much batter you used. A toothpick inserted into the muffin should come out clean, and they're done!
Our whole family eats these with butter, my Dad (Poppy) more than others. 😂Apparently putting an obscene amount of butter on muffins is not a universal thing, so heads up, y'all are missing out! Ha! Some of y'all don't have a YaYa in ya life and it shows. Butter on all the things! My personal favorite way to eat these is cut in half with softened butter. However you eat them, you're sure to love 'em!
If you'd like to print this recipe, simply select the recipe text above, then choose print in your browser.